What is alpha bisabolol?
Alpha-bisabolol is a natural monocyclic sesquiterpene alcohol that is an active ingredient found in various plants, particularly in the essential oil of chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla or Chamaemelum nobile). It is also present in other plants like the candeia tree (Eremanthus erythropappus) and the bark of the Vanillosmopsis erythropappa tree.
Alpha-bisabolol is known for its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties, making it a popular ingredient in cosmetics and skincare products. It is used to help reduce redness, irritation, and inflammation, making it beneficial for sensitive or irritated skin. Additionally, alpha-bisabolol is known for its ability to enhance the penetration of other active ingredients, thereby increasing their effectiveness.
This compound has been extensively researched for its potential medical applications, such as wound healing and anti-cancer properties, although more studies are needed to fully understand its therapeutic benefits.
It’s important to note that while alpha-bisabolol is generally considered safe for topical use, some individuals may still be sensitive or allergic to it. As with any new skincare product, it’s advisable to do a patch test before using it widely on the skin.
The basic ingredient of alpha bisabolol
The basic ingredient of alpha bisabolol is alpha-bisabolol itself. Alpha-bisabolol, also known as levomenol, is a natural monocyclic sesquiterpene alcohol. It is a colorless to pale yellow oily liquid with a floral, slightly sweet, and pleasant aroma.
Alpha-bisabolol is commonly found in the essential oil of various plants, most notably in the German chamomile (Matricaria chamomilla) and the candeia tree (Eremanthus erythropappus), where it is extracted from. It is also present in other plants such as the Brazilian tree Dalbergia granadillo and the bark of the African tree Pterocarpus angolensis.
This compound is known for its various beneficial properties, including anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and skin-soothing effects. It is widely used in the cosmetics and skincare industries due to its ability to calm and protect the skin, making it a popular ingredient in various skincare products like lotions, creams, and serums. Additionally, its pleasant scent makes it a favorable addition to many cosmetic formulations.
How to use alpha bisabolol?
Alpha-bisabolol is a natural, colorless, and oily compound found in various plants, most notably in chamomile. It has been used for its soothing and anti-inflammatory properties and is commonly found in skincare and cosmetic products. Here’s how you can use alpha-bisabolol:
- Skincare Products: Look for skincare products that contain alpha-bisabolol as an ingredient. It is often used in creams, lotions, serums, and balms due to its calming and skin-soothing properties. It can help reduce redness, irritation, and sensitivity, making it suitable for those with sensitive or easily irritated skin.
- Spot Treatment: If you have a specific area of redness or irritation on your skin, you can use alpha-bisabolol as a spot treatment. Some formulations come in a concentrated form or as essential oil, which can be applied directly to the affected area. However, always do a patch test before applying it to a larger area of your skin to ensure you don’t have any adverse reactions.
- After-Sun Care: Alpha-bisabolol’s anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent ingredient for after-sun care products. Look for products that contain this compound to help soothe and calm sunburned skin.
- Sensitive Skin Care: If you have sensitive skin or are dealing with redness and irritation, choose products with alpha-bisabolol to help alleviate discomfort and promote skin recovery.
- Combine with Other Ingredients: Alpha-bisabolol can be combined with other skincare ingredients to enhance its effects. For example, it can be used alongside aloe vera, chamomile extract, or hyaluronic acid for a more comprehensive soothing and hydrating experience.
- Caution: As with any new skincare product, especially if it contains concentrated ingredients, it’s essential to perform a patch test before applying it to your face or body. Apply a small amount of the product on a small area of your skin (e.g., inner arm) and wait for 24 hours to see if there’s any adverse reaction. If irritation occurs, discontinue use immediately.
Remember that while alpha-bisabolol is generally well-tolerated, everyone’s skin is different, and some individuals may still experience sensitivity or allergic reactions. If you have any concerns or specific skin conditions, consult with a dermatologist or healthcare professional before using products containing alpha-bisabolol.